A baker’s oven is one of the most expensive and important pieces of equipment. Their prices vary quite a bit, depending on the type you need, and whether you’re sourcing for a new or second hand one.
If you’re not sure what to go for, here’s a brief introduction to the different choices that are available and how much they cost.
- Revolving Tray Oven – to produce fairly large quantities, a new Revolving Tray Oven could cost $20,000 or more. As the name implies, there are trays that rotate in the oven, allowing you to place multiple sheet pans or product on the shelves. These ovens can be used to bake all sorts of products and are commonly used for breads and bagels.
- Rotating Rack Oven – alternatively, a Rotating Rack Oven allows you to roll a complete rack of product into it, where one rack can hold up to 20 standard sheet pans. This is a good solution for large productions too, and can cost $15,000 to $20,000 new.
- Convection Oven – for small to medium sized bakeries, a small convection oven may be sufficient. Not only are they much cheaper at $4,000 to $5,000 for a new unit, they also take up less space. And if you need added flexibility, you can consider getting a Double Convection oven that will let you bake at two different temperatures at the same time.
- Deck Oven – depending on what type of products you intend to specialize in, you may find the need for a Deck Oven, which has an opening for you to slide sheet pans onto the deck easily. The price for a new unit is about the same as a convection oven and they are available in Gas, Electric and even wood fired.
- Estimated Used Prices – the prices of used ovens for a bakery depends on their age, condition and availability. On the whole, their prices range between 40-60% of the price of a new one. So, if a new Convection Oven costs $4,250 a used one may set you back anything from $2,000 to $2,500. And if a new single electric rotating rack oven costs $17,000 then you should be able to get a second hand one for about $9,000.
Before buying an oven for your new bakery, you really must know what you intend to bake, and how much quantity you expect to do.
A large oven will not only cost you more to purchase but they will also increase your utility bills, so plan wisely and make sure you actually have a need for it. Furthermore, it will take up space in your kitchen, and could be more cumbersome to move.
If you’re unsure of what to do, consider starting out with a small convection oven and then invest in a second one if the need arises. By having two smaller ones instead of a single large one, at least you will also have a backup should one of them go down.